Monday, April 12, 2010

iPad finally a portable Cintiq?

So I was playing around with my friends iPad for a while and I have to say it's a lot better than I thought it would be. I kind of expected that I might like it once I use it but I didn't expect to love it. In fact, I bought it last Saturday. This toy is simply amazing in many ways.
After doing some doodles in Autodesk Sketchbook Pro for iPad, I new this is the next step into the future. My stylus for the iphone broke so I had to paint with the finger but I was surprised how accurate you can draw even without a stylus. Of course the pressure sensitivity is still missing but changing the opacity manually is not too bad. Sketchbook provides layers and even layer transformations, meaning you can translate/rotate/scale a layer all at the same time using two fingers....it's pretty insane since Photoshop can't even do that. Besides painting....I can watch my netflix queue instantly on this thing and reading comic books or looking at photos is a pure pleasure. Basically it's a giant iPhone which makes this toy so amazing :D

Here is my first painting done in Sketchbook Pro for iPad. I guess I finally found a portable Cintiq!!!
More to come! Btw...my stylus is broken so this is all fingerpainting ^^

16 comments:

Imranul Haque said...

if i had 1/10000 talent as you...sigh... :(
nice sketch by the way... :D

davidmaas said...

Very keen to get.,.. well, something like the iPad. The HP slate looks like it will be even closer, but I really do want a portable cintiq!

Thanks for the report!

Unknown said...

oooooooh don't tempt me. Thanks for your thoughts !

Unknown said...

Oh my GOD! You might just be right. Now I gotta find one to try it out! O_o

Jeff Mahorney said...

Beautiful scene!

Yup, you nailed it on the head: I'm lookin for a portable cintiq too. Sorry Wacom couldn't figure out wireless, but I'm poor anyway and like the ipad's price. I think I'm going to have to dive in also.

I'd love to hear your review of a pogo (or any stylus) on the ipad.

Goro Fujita said...

david:
I guess that the touchscreen is not as responsive as the iPad one. I tried HP touchscreens before and I didn't like the feel of it.

JMahorney
I used the pogo sketch last friday on the iPad. It's really good with "brushes" not as resposive on "sketchbook" for some reason....

Mathieu Reynès said...

Great work !
I just got my iPad today and i'm hesitating between Brushes app or Sketchbook Pro... Do you have a suggestion ?

Goro Fujita said...

I'm in direct contact with the Brushes creator, giving him feedback. Autodesk Sketchbook has more features at the moment (like a bunch of texture brushes and translate/rotate/scale layer function. So you might wanna get sketchbook first but also keep an eye on brushes.

Mathieu Reynès said...

Thanks, I will practice on Sketchbook for the moment ;)

Dekus said...

You did THAT with your fingers? on iPad!?? Holy shit.. wow :D
Makes even me think of getting one! Even when im a hardcore anti-apple type :)

RAWLS said...

That's fantastic my finger painting friend!! You wanna buy me one?!?!

Martin Bergquist said...

Impressed that you did that with your fingers. Now you got me interested :-) Great blog with fantastic work, very inspiring!

Taylor said...

great post! nice drawing and some very useful info. thanks!

Unknown said...

Woooo ... lovely drawing. Thanks for your tech feedback too. I have been wondering about all those different softwares and hardwares

Rafaella said...

I've been thinking in buy an Ipad or a regular tablet PC, but no good reviews or real artistic opinions about drawing and painting on Ipad. Your posts about your experiences - and your really great artworks - makes me think that Ipad actually can be a powerful and friendly tool. Thanks for sharing this info and keep up the fab work!

Anonymous said...

Hey guys ! I just wanted to say i have been trying almost every painting softwares on ipad, and I think that Procreate is by far the best to paint. Its brush system is very highly customisable, its natural media faking is awesome, and there is no lag when painting. Only bad point is that you cannot choose the size of your canvas, but not a big deal really. Artrage is really bad because of many lags, and sketchbook nice for some concepting (with symetry tools and so on).